Sunday, October 9, 2016

Why do you . . .?

I love to knit hats.  Last week, I was struggling with a lace pattern on my current shawl and I put it down and started a new hat.  In no time at all I found that knitting peace and after a few days, I was able to return to the lace pattern.  The funny thing is that I don't really wear hats.  So I knit for others.  We are currently collecting kid sized hats that will be sent to Mongolia.  These four hats we dropped off last week.  Today I have two more to add to the box.
I had an email from Churchmouse yarns the other day titled Why do we knit?    And a few weeks ago Helen Stewart asked what is it about knitting that brings you joy.  I sometmes knit for products, like hats, but more often for the process, the act of knitting, the click of needes, and watching a pattern emerge.  I generally find joy in all the bits and pieces of knitting.  I love to browse patterns, wander in a yarn shop, cast on, learn a new technique.  I have even found joy in un-knitting a project that is just not working.  It is like liberating the yarn for something new!  I would say the only piece I do not love is when my yarn gets tangles coming off the skein.  I spent almost an hour untangling a skein of yarn that was supposed to be a center pull.
I am ready for the next step of that lace project, another new to me technique.  This morning I cast on another hat.  All is well with my world.
I think these questions apply to knitting and quilting.  So, why do you craft?  And what bits and pieces bring you joy?
linking up with Kathy today
Happy Sunday 

5 comments:

Deb said...

Love this post and like you I love all the details of a project from choosing a pattern, shopping for supplies and touching all of the yarns of fabrics, even taking a class to be among others that share my passion. When I knit, crochet or hand embroider or quilt I get such a feeling of peace, well being and serenity. I find pure joy is the simple act of pulling a threaded needle through fabric.

karen said...

I knit because it makes me very sane. I find my anxieties and worries are minimal when I have a project to focus on. I also love to wear almost everything I make!!

CathieJ said...

I craft because I find it both fun and calming...at least most of the time. When I was having a bad neurological reaction to some medicine a few years ago, I turned to crochet to keep my sanity. I found so much peace with the repetive stitching and the beautiful afghan pattern.

Lori said...

The hats are so awesome! What a great way to feed your creativity and help others!

audrey said...

Great post! I love to make something with my own two hands, something beautiful and often unique. It's so fulfilling! Your knitting is wonderful.:)