Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday mindfulness


 
I have been thinking a lot about social media and friendship lately.  As a girl, I had pen pals around the world.  I loved the process of writing and reading letters, sharing bits and pieces of our lives.  Because I am not a keeper, I do not have any of those letters but I do remember how many connections I found with my pen pals.  Later I joined some groups on Prodigy and AOL.  Email was not as efficient in those days so a lot of our correspondence was snail mail.  Over the years, I was able to meet up with some of those online friends, mostly at quilt shows.  In the last few years, I have made some new friends through blogs and Facebook groups.  It never occurred to me that this might be considered weird.  At our end of the school year meeting, we were talking about summer plans.  One woman shared, hesitantly, that she and her husband were taking their teen aged daughter up to Canada so she could have a live meet up with some girls she had met online.  I could tell she was a bit uncomfortable with the idea.  So when it came time for me to talk about my summer plans, I was more than happy to talk about my trip to Oregon to see someone I had also met online.  It was fun to see her perk up and relax a bit as I talked about finding how much Lori and I had in common and how we had gone from blog comments to email to texting to meeting in person. 

Today I am having a lovely time finishing up the blocks from my class and making plans for the next border of my Gwennie quilt.  I am so thankful for the lovely people and experiences that quilting brings to my life and for the opportunities to make new friends.
Happy Monday!

5 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Well, it looks like you had loads of fun. And, what a special treat to meet up with Lori!

Sue said...

You are so right - how lovely it is to meet up with blogging friends, and feel like you've known each other for so long. How neat to meet up with Lori.

Diane said...

I too had the good fortune to finally meet a penpal from Australia last week. It was wonderful to spend time together after only knowing each other online. Glad you got the chance to meet Lori, I'm sure it was wonderful for both of you!

karen said...

I have met a few on line friends and what I love most about each meeting is that it was like meeting someone I knew forever. It was wonderful!! love your photo :)

Lori said...

I really like this photo of us! I've met several people online and many have become treasured friends- you included!