Friday, July 1, 2016

Gwennie inspired

The second theme for our medallion quilts was "childhood."  I had a few more elaborate ideas but then I came down with a summer cold and lost my steam.  Instead I decided to add the pink check fabric because it reminds me of the dresses my mom used to make for me every summer - lots of pink gingham, polka dots, and girly stuff.  
I am making good progress on my Abigail cardi.  I put the sleeves on holders and have about 6" until the lower edging.  Then the real test will come when I go back and work the sleeves.  
In my cleaning and stash purging, I came across this little quilt.  The center is made from three Sue Spargo blocks.  Two years ago, I decided that they would make a good center for a small quilt.  I added 9-patch and churn dash blocks.  There were just a few places that needed some hand stitching so I did the this week.  The backing is all pieced so this little gem is ready for some quilting.
First week of summer break - hope the rest of my summer is so fiber-full!


17 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your medallion is so sweet and simple with beautiful colors - a breath of fresh air.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My mom made us gingham dresses and blouses, too, in blues and yellows, greens, and pinks -- perfect idea for childhood.

Cathy said...

My mother too made clothes for my sister and I. Gingham was a favorite. Hugs, Cath

Jessica said...

I love the gingham! The sleeves will fly by! My top for success is the moveable stitch markets so you can keep track of your toes and decreases :)

Lori said...

Fun memories and the simple border is perfect!

Magpie Sue said...

Your little basket quilt is simple and charming! I love that the flowers extend beyond the pink gingham border. And how perfect a choice was the gingham! Well done you!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Sweet, simple and adorable! Who says it has to be elaborate to be special?

Véronique Prat said...

Lucky girl to have so nice dress every summer ;-)
Véronique

karen said...

so many fun projects you have going on! I cast on socks last night and it felt good to be doing a non shawl project :)

Sandi said...

Sweet basket looking froward to your log cabin round.

Love Sue Spargo quilts, have fun with that one also.

Rebecca in AK said...

Sorry about the cold, hope you are feeling better. Such a pretty medallion! Love it! My Mom made clothes for me and my sister. I just started a cardigan.

Cathy said...

I still love gingham dresses!

Sharon said...

I love your sweet little basket with the gingham border! It's really perfect. It does say "summer" to me, and I love how your flowers are bursting out of the border! Gingham is the fabric of our childhoods, it seems. It always makes me smile.

Nancy said...

Simple is sometimes very good and I think that's true for this block and border. It looks bright, light, and summery. Just perfect. I love how your flowers go beyond the border of gingham.

I like the last block/small quilt photo. I'm looking forward to seeing all of it!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Karen said...

I had a few check dresses when I was growing up. The check fabric works well with your medallion center.

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

Love the simplicity of your round, and LOVE how your flowers grew beyond the garden fence :)
Hope your cold is better!

Angie in SoCal said...

I love the clean, crisp look of your medallion quilt. Love that little quilt, too.