Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday stitches

What a lovely, long, weekend.  There has been time to sew and read and knit and cook.  Time alone and time with family.  Yesterday, I decided to tackle another unfinished project.  This is a rail fence quilt that I made last summer from Sujata's Cultural Fusion book.  I am excited to take a class with Sujata at Sister's this summer and thought it would be nice to finish up this lovely quilt before beginning another.  I had actually pieced a backing sometime last winter so it was simply a matter of getting out my pins, turning on a movie, and starting.  I was able to get about 1/3 of the machine quilting done before I needed to stop -  for dinner and for my aching shoulders.  I hope to get back to it tonight and tomorrow.  Then, a bit of binding and I should have it finished before we get too far into June.
I also got to do some hand stitching on my Cuppa blocks this weekend.  The wool colors are really beautiful.  Can't wait to show it to you.  I am also looking forward to the next step in the Gwennie QAL.  My little basket block is patiently waiting to grow.
I have been thinking a lot about my mom this month.  It was early May when mom passed and the end of the month when we had her memorial service.  A lot of firsts have come and gone.  Dad still tears up when he talks about her but he is starting to sort things out.  I have promised to spend some time with his this summer, sorting, packing, and purging.  It will be good. 
Don't forget to visit Kathy to see what others are working on this week.  I am sure I have something to hand quilt and now that the days are longer, it is good to have a little project on my side table.

3 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh pin basting... the dreaded task. But it goes quickly and then the fun can start!
So glad you are progressing on the Cuppa project... and your Gwennie basket!

Lori said...

You are really making good use of your extra long weekend.
Your dad seems to be staying busy. I'm sure he will enjoy the extra time with you.

karen said...

I love long weekends and I love how you captured your hobby and the light and the angle :) Beautiful photo!!