Friday, April 22, 2016

Fibery Friday

Happy Friday!  I had to remind myself numerous times yesterday that it was Thursday, not Friday.  Too many meetings and things switched around making it hard to keep track of the days!  We have had some lovely weather and lots of opportunities to be outside.
Yesterday I received my Wooly Wounds.  I am very excited to use these threads in m wool applique.
Last night, Lori posted a photo from a talk she was attending with Gwen Marston.  On her blog this morning, Lori has asked if we ever took a class with Gwen.  I took a class at Quilting by the Sea - years ago - could be 15, could be 20.  She taught us to make blocks by sewing and cutting instead of measuring out templates.  She also had us use preprinted fabrics to create a theme.  I have another one that is quite wonky but for this morning, I thought I would include my little santa quilt.  Not too wonky, I had to feel my way to that liberated style.  I will look for the other quilt and try to show it soon. 
Lori also mentioned that Gwen is going to stop teaching after this year.  I remember how encouraging and affirming Gwen was in that class - especially important as she was encouraging us to toss out the templates and stop focuing on the precision.  It was an eye opener for me.  I am so happy to have had that chance. 

1 comment:

Lori said...

I am glad you have that quilt! Gwen has inspired so many!!