Friday, April 1, 2016

Fiber Friday - the gifts of quilting

Earlier this week Lori showed some pictures from a talk she has been giving - 10 reasons I quilt.  She asked her readers to share their own reasons for quilting.  I have written about the gifts of the creative process but another big reason I quilt (and knit) has to do with people and relationships.  26 years ago I met some women around the quilt frame at our guild show.  We started a small group that has shifted, a few members moved away and some lovely new ladies have joined.  We don't see each other often enough but I could call any one of them today and hear words of kindness.  
I think it was about 6 years ago that I sent Lori an email to ask advice about going to Sisters for the annual show and classes.  That summer, she met me in the hotel lobby with this beautiful little bird pillow and we spent a fun evening getting to know one another.  That friendship has blossomed over quilting, running, a love for kids and mission work,  and the shared experience of Alzheimer's.
I love sewing and knitting and making lovely things.  But the friendships that are bound with fiber are some of the best reasons I quilt.
Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Lori said...

One of my biggest reasons too! Lovely post today.