Monday, February 8, 2016

Kitchen Mondays

Welcome to Kitchen Mondays.  I have spent the last eight years learning how to eat well and cook whole foods.  I am fortunate to live near a great store that offers wonderful classes.  They also have a great online recipe database. 
My journey began when I picked up a copy of Clean Eating magazine at a friend's house.  She and I agreed to start the school year by trying to follow the meal plans in the magazines and holding one another accountable.  It was just the shift I needed.  After much trial and error, I have come to a point where eating whole foods and weekly food prep are a habit. 
About a month ago, I took a class on foods that cool inflammation.  The class was taught by a nutritionist and a chef.   The nutritionist gave the chef a list of the ingredients that are good for calming inflammation and the chef created the recipes.  As she prepared and cooked, she shared tips.  The tip that has really stuck with me is about making your own broth.  I have done this a few times but it can be time consuming.  Her idea is so simple.  As you prepare you veggies each day, put the parts that you are not using in a large Ziploc bag and keep them in the freezer.  Onion skins, the ends of carrots and celery, the bits and pieces of asparagus and peppers.  Even the greens from beets go right into the bag.  She told us that many of the nutrients are in the skin and the greens. (No cabbage or cauliflower - she said this will make your broth bitter).  When the bag is full, dump it into your soup pot with 10 cups of water, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil, and simmer for an hour.  Strain all the veggie pieces out and you have lovely, homemade vegetable broth to use for soup or cooking lentils and rice.  I put my broth in jars with about 2 cups in each jar and freeze them.  When I pull out the last jar, I usually have another full bag of veggies ready to make another batch.
Please leave a comment and let me know if you have a kitchen tip to share.  I am contemplating using a link app so you can share you own Kitchen Monday blog posts.  Happy eating!


10 comments:

Michelle said...

Great idea.

Lori said...

Love it!!

Melissa said...

Great tip - I just read about this recently, too, and think it's a great idea. I like that you're keeping a bag of veggie stuff so you're ready to make a new batch of broth!

Karen Ellsworth said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing the tip. :-)

Jill said...

What a fabulous tip! I found your blog through Cathy Z's FIT facebook group. I don't blog about food, but I do occasionally blog about my quilting, sometimes I even link up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, which I see that you do, too! Small world!

Alana in Canada said...

I used to do this--I'd forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Jennie in GA said...

For a really simple way to make your Roth, toss the veggies in your crockpot and walk away. Works everytime...easy easy.

Dondi Murdock said...

I knew of a woman who used leftover liquids from cooking vegetables in the water required for her breads. She said the bread still tasted the same but she knew the bread had all the nutrients from the cooked veggies in them. I hadn't thought of this for years. Thanks for helping me remember this! Also, it didn't discolor the bread.

Pink Kicks said...

Love this!!!

Lynn Koeppen said...

So interesting! How could I get some of the recipes/ideas to cool inflammation? My husband is suffering from hives, and no doctor has been able to figure out the cause!