Friday, February 12, 2016

Fiber Friday

I finished the edge of my Stitchd Prayers wall hanging on Sunday and could not wait to put it up on the wall.  Today I thought I would share the history of this piece and hopefully answer some of the questions that have been asked.
I stumbled on to this idea of prayer pockets a number of years ago.  I can't find the reference but it was a fiber art exhibit where the artists had made little fabric pouches with prayers sewn inside.  I tucked the idea away in my someday file.  After mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I made a few small quilts for Ami Simms' Alzheimer's art quilt initiative.  But I wanted something to keep, something that would help me tuck away the sadness that I was feeling as mom's memories slipped away.  A friend was making prayer stoles for her nieces at the time and it reminded me of those prayer pockets. I had also seen the Prayer Flag project popping up online and the idea for this piece began to emerge. The base is a linen kitchen towel, the kind that is used to appliqué or embroider.  I started pulling little squares of fabric and arranging it on the cloth.  Then I cut smaller pieces of muslin and used a permanent pent to write a prayer.  As I stitched the fabric squares, the prayer was sealed inside.  I don't remember what is behind each fabric but I know they were prayers for mom, for dad, for my siblings, and daughters, and for me.  
Along the way I found some fabric printed with the definition of memory, a piece of ribbon with the word Remember, and a small piece of lace from mom's sewing drawer.  The sun/flower reminded me of singing You are my sunshine with mom and the piece of blue silk came after she told me that blue was her favorite color.  All those years I had thought it as pink but she told me that pink was the color dad like and she loved him so she wore it most often.  
I added the row of pockets because I want to use this as a place to put more prayers.  I have a small notebook that I'll fit in one of the pockets.  I imagine little bits of paper in those pockets and perhaps some embellishments.  It is finished but I'm not done with it yet.  There are many prayers yet to come.

9 comments:

TakeMeThereTotes said...

This is just so beautiful in every way.

audrey said...

What a beautiful quilt, more so because of what it means to you. Love that stitching too.:)

Lori said...

Very nice and what a special quilt!

Pink Kicks said...

Beautiful quilt and beautiful meaning behind it! Very special! Thank you for sharing this with us!

the habit of being said...

This made me tear up! So very lovely, J!

kelley said...

What a beautiful story...so many of my pieces are stitched with a Prayer in my heart for the recipient...Hugs

Lynn Koeppen said...

Beautiful! I bet it looks great on your wall and it gives you many think to remember, ponder, and cherish!

Kurt Schindler said...


What a lovely story and a special wall hanging. Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte

Jess said...

It is a beautiful combination of you and grandma :) I like that we will walk by it often!