Wednesday, December 30, 2015

important things - ideas, books, yarn

I stumbled on to this children's book a few months ago and after reading it to a few group of children, I decided I needed to have my own copy.  I put it on my Christmas list and was very happy to find it under the tree.  I have worked with young children for a very long time and over the years, I have seen a sad decline in childrens' confidence about having good ideas.  I wonder if it is the age of instant information.  You don't have to imagine the possibilities, you can very quickly get the "right" answer to your question.  My wish for children is the time and space to wonder and imagine.
Next week I am stepping back into the classroom for the remainder of the school year.  I will have a small class of three-year-olds and it will be great fun.  We will be together two mornings a week, enough time to play and read and paint and pull out all the creative energy we can.
Adding teaching to my already full schedule as program director means I must make space for the important things - the things that help me find joy and calm.  I have my vest on the needles and just a few chapters left in my current book.  I have decided to give the book group at church a try (especially since I have already read three of the upcoming books).  In a few weeks I will receive the first kit for a block of the month club.  I uncovered another quilt that can be machine quilted.  I also found a gift card to a local quilt shop and I am planning to stop in there after I have lunch with my dad today.
I downloaded the recipe cards for a 30 day green smoothie challenge and this weekend I am going to fill my freezer with soups for my lunches.  Lori has mentioned using a journal to keep track of her health which is also a wonderful idea.  I have the perfect little notebook for this.  I especially want to reflect on my running journey and figure out if I really want to do another half marathon.  That one is a puzzle to me.
Hope you have a lovely day filled with great ideas and time to wonder.  And if you want to see what others are knitting and reading, visit Ginny.

6 comments:

steph said...

Lots of great new year plans!!!

Sarah said...

Lovely post. I agree about children and imagination and will see if I can get my hands on a copy of that book. You have some beautiful projects going right now! Happy New Year from another Washingtonian!

audrey said...

You are so busy! Love your organized you try to be, your lists and your groups.:) I can see that it makes you happy!

Jennie in GA said...

Nice plans and thoughts. It is wonderful what the prospect of a new year can inspire in us.

Lori said...

All kinds of fun coming up soon! If I didn't have a half marathon on my schedule I'm not so sure how motivated I'd be to train. It is something that works for me. Maybe just a few shorter races is what you need so as to not over commit or injure yourself.

karen said...

I loved reading this. I am gathering new recipes for a new year and a focus on whole food eating :)