Wednesday, December 23, 2015

hats off the needles

A few years ago I tried to make 52 hats over the year.  I didn't quite make it.  But hats have been my go to knitting when I need something that won't make too many demands on my brain.  So here is my stack of hats from 2015.  I didn't make an official challenge for myself but I was excited to pull out the bag and see so many finished hats.  I think there are two more somewhere in my closet and I have plans for another one that might get done before new year's eve so that would be 15 in 2015!
Funny thing is that I don't really wear hats (althought I did knit one that I am keeping for myself just in case I find myself in need of a hat).
Hat knitting has really helped me improve my knitting skills.  I have done simple patterns, cables, left and right increases, figured out a variety of abrreviations, conquered lace patterns, and learned how to read charts.  We have a knitting group at church.  Our first project for 2016 will be hats for kids in Syria. 
I am still reading About Grace by Anthony Doerr and loving it.  I am listening to My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by the author of A Man Called Ove which I am not quite loving.
Now that I have declutter my knitting I think it is time to tackle my bookcases and maybe make a list of books to read in 2016.
Better pop over to Ginny's to discover some new titles!

9 comments:

Jess said...

Wow! Impressive stack!

Natalie Buehler said...

Super! 15 hats well done!
x

Lori said...

Lovely! I am a hat wearer in winter.

Caffeine Girl said...

I love your stack of hats. Together like that, they are so pretty!

I've used socks to learn in a similar way. Hats would be more practical, though!

Jeanettebr said...

look at all the pretty hats!! I have a coupe now and will for sure cast on many more. I have yet to learn cables and they are stumping me but after the holidays I will sit down and get it worked out!

Debbie said...

i love to knit hats, mine are quite "thoughtless"...meaning i mostly don't have to pay attention. last year everyone on my list got a hat, but i never photographed them all together like this, very cool!!!!

Lucy Bowen said...

Lovely stack of hats!! And a great cause and educational for you too!

Lindsay said...

Hats are my favorite thing too! They're easy, fast and a good way to try out new stitch patterns, techniques and fun yarns! We're moving soon to a warm place where I definitely won't need knitted stuff, so I've been researching where I might donate my hats (since I have no intention of knitting any less!) and I like the sound of Knots of Love. Look into it if you need another place to send your hats! :)

Elise said...

Awesome stack! I never really wore hats either until I started making them - they're my favourite thing to knit so really I have to have a few for myself! :)