Sunday, December 27, 2015

a slow finish

I started this lovely quilt in March 2011.  I took the last stitches on the applique in December 2013.  This morning, I pulled it out of the dryer, quilted, bound, and finished.  I got caught up on the quilting, believing that it could only be hand quilted.  The longer it sat in the hoop with a small, 4" section quilted, the more I realized that the only way I would get to enjoy this quilt was to take out those stitches, pin baste, and machine quilt.  I cannot tell you have much I am looking forward to having this as my couch quilt this winter.  The colors are so lively and the applique is so fun.  The pattern was a gift from a quilting friend and the background fabric was purchased at a sweet little shop that I visited with my daughter.  So many memories.  Linking up with Kathy one last time in 2015.

10 comments:

Valerie Reynolds said...

Love that final moment of pulling a finished quilt out of the dryer for the first time!! Enjoy and congrats on your finish!!

Lori said...

So happy you will be enjoying it rather then agonizing over hand quilting it.It is lovely!!

karen said...

I am glad you did what you did, it's fun to have instant gratification and now you have a quilt!!

CathieJ said...

Sometimes you have to complete a quilt the easiest way in order to truly enjoy it. So pretty.

Pam said...

It's lovely. I hope you will show us more of it. :)

audrey said...

Beautiful. I have always loved this quilt of yours.:)

Jennie in GA said...

Love it. I have one of these started somewhere.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I started this one too! Now you make me want to get back to it!

Vivian said...

Ahh, the joy of pulling a finish over you, especially one that you've stuck with to the end! Love Jan Patek's designs and this is a beaut!! I have a JP project that was started awhile ago but I've only got one block done. Since my machines went "on strike" and I'm currently in a (forced) hand work phase maybe I'll get back to mine too -- thanks for the inspiration!!

Lynn Koeppen said...

It is lovely! I'm so glad you have it finished! I'd love to see more pictures of it!