Friday, September 4, 2015

National Sewing Month

Yesterday, I saw a National Sewing Month post on Instagram.  Hmmmm?  I am not sure I knew that September was National Sewing month and because I love to sew, I needed to know more.  Apparently, Ronald Reagan declared September as National Sewing Month in 1982 "in recognition of the importance of home sewing to our nation."  
In 1982, I was finishing up my wedding dress and sewing bridesmaid dresses.  I had my sewing machine set up on the kitchen table as often as I could.  A few years later, I had two young daughters and many friends with babies.  But I seemed to be the only one who knew how to sew.  I ended up designing and sewing diaper covers and knit outfits for babies and toddlers.  Then came my Laura Ashley dress season.  I had a small business making floral dresses and jumpers.  My labels read JessTaylored after our two daughters (I think I still have a few of those labels).  It was fun until everyone wanted a custom dress.  I finally made up the last of my floral fabric, sold everything at a reduced rate, put the sewing business away, and turned my attention to quiltmaking. 
So excited to know that we have a month devoted to home sewing.  What will you be stitching this month?

Come back on Saturday to catch up on our Jen Kingwell Quilt Along!

5 comments:

karen said...

since I'm a mere knitter I will be your sewing cheerleader!! Go go go!

Ramona said...

I need to get my sewing machine back before I can join in on Sewing Month. I did cut out the pieces for three quilts while my sewing machine has been at the spa! Thanks for the info on Sewing Month.

audrey said...

Interesting. I had no idea there was a national sewing month! I made clothes (for myself) years ago and then gave up on it. Quilting is much more fun.:)

Kaja said...

Well I'm in the wrong country but I think I will designate September as sewing month here too.

Lori said...

I didn't know it was National Sewing month. I finished up a bunch of little dresses for Bolivia. Now I'll quilt:)