Tuesday, August 4, 2015

use what you have

I started the summer with the great purge.  It was so wonderful to finally move out the things I don't just love and that release has been good for my creativity too.  I think I am entering a new season of use what you have.  Not just fabric and yarn but books and patterns.  I won a copy of  Cultural Fusion Quilts last spring and have spent much time pondering how to jump in.  This morning I happened to stop at Sujata's blog and see that there is a rail fence quilt along happening and since I have the book and I have plenty of fabric, it seemed a logical jump.
This morning I have cut enough strips for 9 blocks and have stitched two.  Now I am off for a bike ride but later I will get back to the stitching and I believe this will go together lickety split.  The blocks are big - 16" finished, so I am planning make 16.  I am using a lot of bright, contemporary fabric that has mostly been gifted to me but it would also be a great project for my plaids.
On another note, Lynn and I are talking about a Jen Kingwell quilt along.  Let me know if you want to join in.  Since I go back to work next week, this will be mostly a supportive project - not a hard and fast quilt along.  
Hope there is time for stitching in your day today.

7 comments:

audrey said...

This looks like a great quilt pattern for using lots of different types of fabrics. Funny how cleaning up and purging our space can free up creativity.:)

Shasta Matova said...

I have this book too, and this quilt is one that I want to make someday. Just need to finish up some other quilts and keep those other new ideas at bay.

Diane said...

I am so tempted by this quilt along, it looks fun and fast! I might need to find that jelly roll that is lurking around here somewhere. And I would be a great big YES to anything Jen Kingwell. I'm a sucker for her gorgeous patterns and fabrics.
LOVE the fabrics in your photo!

dutchcomfort said...

Love the rail fence quilt! I’m already celebrating a Jen Kingwell Summer on my own, but would love to hear more about your QAL ideas!

Lori said...

What a fun project!! I look forward to seeing more.
I love seeing your creativity!

Jess said...

Good inspiration! Can't wait to see the Jen Kingwell quilt unfold. I'll be a cheerleader for you all :)

Pam said...

Would love to hear more about your Jen Kingwell quilt along. I just got her Quilt Lovely book last week. :)