Sunday, August 23, 2015

slow stitching - hand work

About 25 years ago I took a quilt sampler class and we pieced every block by hand.  I almost dropped out after the first session but the people in the class were really fun so I stuck with it.  We made tumbling blocks,  hexagons, baskets with many little triangles, and fan blocks.  I learned a lot but once the sampler was done, I went back to machine piecing.  When I applique, it is always by hand but I have avoided quilts that have too many fussy seams.  Enter the Jen Kingwell quilt along.  I heard Jen on a podcast and she talked about hand piecing her blocks.  It was one way to bring her piecing to family gatherings.  I decided that I would try hand piecing the center block of Midnight.  Each large triangle is composed of 16 smaller triangles.  I began by cutting freezer paper but quickly realized this was going to bog me down.  So, I pulled out my sheet of templete acrylic and made a template - first one in a very long time.  I traced around the template on the back of each fabric and then rotary cut the 1/4" seam.  Then I took my triangles downstairs and stitched away as we watched evening TV.  I only did one triangle but I think it went well.  I hand stitched each row and then machine stitched the rows together, a nice compromise.  Now I just need to get 48 little triangles marked and cut and I am on my way.  I know that Jessica has been stitching on this block. Any other Kingwell Quilt alongers started yet?
And be sure to visit Kathy to see what others are slowly stitching today.

12 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Hand piecing is the perfect way to be with people and activities, and make progress on your stitching project! Love this triangle... great start!

Kaja said...

I always machine piece but you are right, hand piecing is a great way to create a movable project - I might have to reconsider. I like the fabrics in your triangle a lot so I'll be interested to see how this grows.

Donna said...

I love hand piecing. The only drawback is that it is so slow. But, you don't have to go fast on every project. Just savor the moments.

Suzanne said...

I look forward to my hand stitching Sundays. The process makes me relax and remember to enjoy the creative steps.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love that you combined your hand work with your machine work. That makes great sense and helps you speed the process up a bit. I seem to be heading toward hand piecing as I guess as I get older I don't feel like I need to make every quilt but to just sit and enjoy the stitching everyday

Cathy said...

I've got one of Jen Kingswell's books on my wish list! I enjoy hand quilting and embroidery...just not sure I'd enjoy hand piecing. I guess I will have to give it a try some day to find out for sure.

karen said...

beautiful work and lovely fabrics, I love the idea of slow stitching :)

Ivani said...

Beautiful little triangles. Good job. Happy Slow Sunday Stitching.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I want to make a triangle quilt too but I think I will be machine piecing it! I love yours!

audrey said...

I've seriously considering starting a hand piecing project and make something similar to your triangle block. It would be a great way to make a busy, scrappy quilt.:)

TakeMeThereTotes said...

I am not finding hand piecing all that relaxing. I am trying out a few patterns for the JK quilt along and definitely will machine piece more than hand piece. Applique is better for me. I have rediscovered big stitch hand quilting and that has been fun.

Lori said...

It is nice to have a little portable project.