Monday, August 17, 2015

How the Jen Kingwell Quilt Along came to be

My design wall is empty but only because I am working on hand stitching some triangles for my Midnight quilt.  But I wanted to show you the quilt that first got me thinking about making a Jen Kingwell quilt.
In June 2014, I was getting ready for an annual quilt retreat.  I had been making some little 9 patch blocks for Barb's swap and I thought they might go well with some Sue Spargo blocks that had been languishing in my stash.  I had been adding some more colorful quilts to my Pinterest board and came upon some of Jen Kingwell's designs.  I loved the way she used color and a variety of blocks to create some very happy quilts.  So I pulled some more brights and neutrals and headed off for the weekend.  Two others at the retreat mentioned the same Jen Kingwell designs that I had been pinning so we pulled them up and I had a new plan for my 9 patch and applique blocks.  By the time I was ready to come home, I had the quilt top pieced.  Unfortunately, I set it aside, thinking perhaps it needed another border, and there is sat.
This June, I was again off to retreat.  This year I was planning to finish up some projects and use up some jelly rolls and charm packs.  I had forgotten about this top so it didn't get packed along.  But, we stopped at a quilt shop and found a display of Jen Kingwell patterns and fabric.  Once again, these quilts were on my mind.  All summer I have been finishing up small quilts, machine quilting, and purging my stash.  When Lynn and I began chatting about making the Midnight at the Oasis quilt, I knew the time was right.
I am excited to hear from more quilters wanting to join our quilt along.  I am going to add your names to my sidebar so we can keep track of one another.  Can I tempt anyone else? 
Linking up today with Judy - such a fun way to see what others are working on as we start a new week.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I love this quilt. I also love the quiltalongs that just "happen". I'm going to love seeing it come together.

Diane said...

I have the pattern and I would love to quilt along but I feel like I should warn you...I'm terrible at rules and I tend to get carried away with a project from time to time. I can't be blamed if I work ahead, okay? I just finished my 1718 Coverlet and that quilt along goes until December. Oops! LOL

audrey said...

Love your fun little quilt top! It has so much personality! I have a lot going on with other projects, but I am definitely going to be looking forward to seeing all the Kingwell projects in process.:)

Quilter Kathy said...

You do tempt me! I love Jen's designs but can I possibly start another long term project... yikes!