Saturday, August 15, 2015

a week to celebrate

I headed back to work this week but I tried very hard to hold on to some creative space.  I know that I must cultivate the habit of doing something creative everyday to have balance in my school year.
This was our back to school admin retreat week.  We are able to go away and stay at a beach house.  I arrived a bit early and had time to sit and read and watch the water.  And really, a full day of meetings and discussions about calendars and professional development and evaluations and budgets is much nicer when you hear the water hitting the rocky beach. 
I also launched my first quilt along this week.  I am guessing there will be about three of us participating but it creates the space to check in and keep motivated.  I did just a bit of reading but a lot of knitting.  I am working on a cardigan and I got the first part done, seperated for the sleeves, and on to the body of the sweater. 
It was a week worth celebration and a good way to set the path for the upcoming school year.
Visit Ruth to read what others are celebrating this week.

7 comments:

Cathy Skubik said...

Your quilt looks intriguing! I have one that is unfinished, perhaps you will be my inspiration. I love the idea of "doing something creative everyday to have balance in my school year." I have always thought of my teaching as my creative outlet, but the idea of something removed from that is one I am going to ponder.

Carol Varsalona said...

An administrative retreat by the water-how fabulous. Doing something creative everyday is a way to stay balanced amidst the hectic pace of the school year. Your collage is lovely and shows a real celebration of summer. If you want to couple that with a poem, I am collecting pieces for a new gallery, Summer Splashings, please join in. The invitation is at http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2015/07/celebrate-summer.html.

Bernadette Laganella said...

The sound of the ocean is the perfect background music to any endeavor. Your quilt is ver intriguing.

Pam said...

Just curious....are you planning to hand sew your triangles or machine piece them?

Ramona said...

Love your triangle. I'll have to share it with my daughter who is the quilter in our family. Love that your retreat was near the water. Kudos to you for striving to keep some creativity in each day.

Crystal Brunelle said...

I too want to make sure and set aside time for creativity even once school starts again. I think it adds so much to our lives. Thank you for sharing.

karen said...

sounds like a nice time and I hope you have time to keep the creativity space alive during the year :)