Friday, August 21, 2015

a handmade wardrobe - part one

I learned how to sew when I was about 7.  My first real sewing project was a red corduroy dress.  I made many of my own clothes throughout my high school and college years, even my wedding dress.  I sewed for my girls until they didn't want to wear dresses anymore (but I still have a suitcase filled with those sweet little dresses).  Then it became hard to find a fabric store that had good fabric to make clothes and I moved away from sewing clothes to sewing quilts.
Over the last year, I have been working on simplifying my wardrobe options.  I know many are tired of the terms for this so I won't mention them (email if you are interested).  What is exciting is that there is a handmade wardrobe challenge going on in the yarn world.  Many dresses, tunics, skirts, and tops are being planned and sewn.  Lovely items to compliment beautiful sweaters and shawls.  This morning I dug out some patterns and found one that I have made a number of times.  I think it is a great project for my week-end. 
Check back to see what fabric I find to go with a sweater I have on the needles.
You can read more about one handmade wardrobe challenge on Helen's blog.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Fun to hear about your sewing history as it's very similar to mine - including the wedding dress. I did not save any of my old patterns, and all fabrics are long gone. Kinda wish I had saved the multi-sized patterns to use for the grandkids, but oh well, good luck on your new challenge!

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Don't think I'll walk down this trail again. But I have saved all my old patterns just in case.

Lori said...

Very sweet and think of how long the clothing will last.