Sunday, July 19, 2015

Slow stitching - new stitching

mom's pincushion a fun book for inspiration
I am still working on the binding for the second quilt.  I got about half way around the other night and then it happened.  I had a pair of scissors in one hand and the quilt in the other and I cut the quilt!  That stopped any forward progress as I sat in dismay and horror.  It is a very small cut and I think I can stitch it up easily enough.  I need to dig through my scraps and see if I have a small bit of fabric so I could applique a little patch.  If not, maybe a flower? 
It has been a little over two months since mom passed away and I have been thinking about her a lot lately.  The weeks after her death were a blur and I have spent a lot of time being with my dad and helping him find a new normal.  But I finished up some big projects last week and I have turned off my work email so I can settle into vacation mode.  I have some lovely projects on my knitting needles, two books to read, and this morning I am leafing through this book again, trying to make a plan for a new, bright and cheery quilt. 
Hope your weekend and stitching are bringing you joy.  Visit Kathy to see what others are stiching this week.

9 comments:

Valerie Reynolds said...

I've always worried I might snip the quilt. Sounds like life is settling into a new normal. Blogger hugs being sent your way!

Debra said...

OMG!! I could feel your horror and disbelief in your post! Oh no, but some mistakes make the most creative 'fixes'. I have a girlfriend who's dog at a hole in a beautiful applique quilt.. she just added more flowers! Lemons into lemonade! Have seen this book in quite a few posts.. might have to check it out!

Quilter Kathy said...

It does take a while to find a new "normal" after such a loss.
Stitching can help for sure.
The little snip is jarring but easy to fix... unlike life :(

Unknown said...

My Mom has been gone a little over a year now and I am still not used to my new normal. It hurts less and the memories are sweet. Sending a hug your way and a little patch for the snip!! Debbie in Ohio:)

Lori said...

I've cut a quilt too and it was so frustrating. It happens and I'm sure you'll find a creative fix. Glad you are settling into summer. As you know, mine is in disarray.

Pam said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I enjoy following your blog.

Kaja said...

I cut a quilt before, made a teeny patch; no one has ever noticed!

Deb A said...

Big hugs to you. Yikes - Sounds like you have a good solution for a fix to the cut. Enjoy your vacation with your knitting, reading and stitches.

CathieJ said...

So sorry you snipped your quilt. I am always afraid of doing that. I am sure you will devise a fix. Happy stitching and happy memories of mom.