Monday, July 27, 2015

I love half square triangles!

I don't know when I learned to make them but I could create quilts from half square triangles for days and days.  I cut the squares a little larger than needed and have more waste than many but in the end, I get blocks that are perfect.
I have tried a few different techniques and even had a roll of the triangle paper at some point but I keep going back to the basic technique.  I cut my two squares one inch larger than I want the block (5.5" cut squares will give me 4.5" half square triangles that fiinishe at 4").  This weekend I cut and cut and cut and did a lot of chain stitching and now I think I have enough triangles to start putting together my zigzag quilt.  The question remains - off set or lined up? 

6 comments:

Ramona said...

I, too, love making HST's and use the same technique that you do. There is something so calming as I trim and trim the triangles to size. Normally I prefer the off set setting, but I love the line up setting for these blocks. Beautiful!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I agree, HSTs are so versatile, and I use the same method you do. It's the most accurate, even if it does require a little trimming. I prefer the layout on the right, with parallel chevrons.

Bonnie said...

Nicely done. I like these zigzag quilts a lot! Your colors are great.

Dar said...

Half square triangles are so versatile and easy to chain piece too. I like the right side for a zig zag look unless you have some great quilting design that you wanted to feature in the square formed with off-setting them.

audrey said...

I love the 2nd setting! You must be better about making your 1/2 square triangles than me.:) I am always getting them slightly off in my hurry!

Lynn Koeppen said...

Oh, nice colors! I love the picture on the right! The one on the left has too much negative space for my tastes! You are inspiring me to start a new project! Help!

Are your HST finishing at 4" in this zig zag quilt?