Monday, April 6, 2015

the gifts of blogging - connections and interactions


Why do I blog?  I have pondered this question over and over.  There are times I have not loved my blog and have contemplated closing it down.  Those are usually times when I try to put restrictions on my blog -  it should be or must be this or that.  But after a pause, I end up coming back.  I have used this space to connect and interact with quilters, knitters, teachers, writers, women who are caring for aging parents or young children.  Sometimes I am the one offering support.  But just as often, I am on the receiving end of a kind and caring comment.
Blogging is all about making connections and interacting.  Without blogging, I don't believe I would challenge myself - to post every day for 31 days, to try a new quilt pattern, or participate in a quilt along or knit along.  My stack of books might not be as diverse.  I might not have kept up with my running goals or eating well.  I have been inspired and encouraged.  I have taken a few risks, learned to laugh at my mistakes, and most recently, I have come to know that this really is my space and what I write or post here is really for me as much as it is for those who might stop by for a visit.
I love Ravelry groups (and wish there was such a community for quilters) and Instagram.  But I am not giving up this space any time soon.  It is a bit random, somewhat scattered, maybe even messy.  At the end of the day, I do love my blog. 
Thanks for asking Kate!

6 comments:

Leah said...

I've had similar ambivalent feelings about blogging. Challenges like this one reinforce the reasons I started blogging to begin with - I love reading what other people have to say and participating in a conversation about it.

Maxine said...

I've often been encouraged to write a blog but haven't so far for many of the reasons you mentioned. I read many blogs on a daily basis and enjoy them so much. When my favorites don't post, something is missing from my day. Please keep up the good work that you do.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I hear you! I like blogging too, it does push me to get things done and does take me out of my comfort zone!

yarnful.com said...

I love the idea that blogging can push you to achieve more (and even keep a check on whether you do things you set out to do)! I think I've not used the full potential of my blog to do this.

karen said...

I blog because I LOVE to talk. Simple as that, and I love meeting like minds and getting new ideas and being motivated in all sorts of pursuits.

Becca said...

Blogging has helped be consistently creative, I guess. And by committing to posting regularly (though I'm not brilliant at this!) I'm challenging myself to write and achieve and reach goals as I go. Much as social media is easier in some ways, like you, I'm not giving up my blog! :) x