Tuesday, April 14, 2015

beginnings

When I saw this prompt my mind raced all over the place.  I love beginnings.  The first pages of a new book.  Beginning a new quilt or knitting project.  Those early stages of planning and prepping.  But often, I fall off and loose steam.  That is why my pile of unfinished projects never seems to dwindle.
But there is such energy and joy in beginnings.  Many years ago, my sewing journey began in mom's sewing closet.  I loved that space.  Fabric, scissors, pins, and patterns.  It drew me like a magnet.  Mom did a lot of sewing.  I especially loved the dresses she stitched for me.  Pink gingham, white buttons, pretty ribbon and rick rack trims.  So one day, I went into this sewing space and began to cut some lovely red velvet.  Of course mom had a plan for this fabric and it was not for me to cut.  I don't remember that she got angry although that might have happened.  What I do remember is that she took me to the fabric store and we picked out a simple pattern and red corduroy.  Then she sat me down and taught me how to sew.  That was my first garment.  The beginning of a journey that still brings me joy. 
When I visited mom this week, the activity director asked if I could help her put together mom's memory box.  This is a little framed box outside her room.  She suggested I choose a few things that would tell mom's story.  Dad and I went through some pictures but when I came home I knew that what I really wanted them to know is that this woman taught us to love books, to write thank you notes, to be patient and kind, and best of all, she taught me to sew.

10 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

What a lovely post!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

What a great post, such special memories of your mom.

Lori said...

That's very sweet.

yarnful.com said...

This is a lovely story. Your mom gave you some precious gifts.

madeinoxford said...

What a wonderful story and such precious memories.

karen said...

so beautiful, I like starting things too and the hopefulness of the beginning. I love mornings, new pages, new pens. My mom was crafty and I grew up watching her sew, knit, and crochet.

Wendy said...

Lovely story! In my family, it's the opposite - my mom is a lousy knitter, can't sew or crochet. I've taught her everything she knows, I pick up her stitches, and I finish her knits. It's all a big circle, either handed up or handed down.

Becca said...

Beautifully written - I so enjoyed reading these sewing memories of your mum! :) x

Jess said...

She taught you, you taught me, and the story continues. Thank you for documenting these stories :)

Robin said...

Hi There, I just found your blog recently and by your post it sounds like your mother a dementia of some sort? My mother sewed also and quilted and taught me to quilt in my 20's. She developed a neurological disease named Creutzfeldt-Jakob in 1997, it took her away from her family in 55 days. I still miss her to this day. We had a lot of fun. My heart goes out to you, this is a tough journey. Robin Hawkins www.heresmyhart.com