Saturday, March 7, 2015

work worth celebrating

There have been many days since September when I thought about quitting this work.  I have never stopped loving the idea of early education.  Working with young children and families is a "pinch me - is this real" kind of feeling.  The joy and laughter far outweigh the tears and stress.  But the world outside my window this year has made me wonder if I should stay. 
Over the last few weeks, I have been a part of making some hard but good decisions (another celebration - to be a part of a team) and I know that these decisions will lift some of the burdens we have felt this year. 
Yesterday I stopped by a classroom and saw the sunshine streaming through the window.  The block structure was casting wonderful shadows on the carpet and the sensory bottles on the window sill sent colors into the classroom.  Two boys offered to make a strawberry latte for me.  One girl, who showed up with an angry face most of last year, ran up to me with a big smile and threw her arms around me.  And just like that, I had the fuel I needed to get me back to my desk and do some of that work that I had been pushing aside, the work that weighs me down. 
This is good work.  This is work worth celebrating. 

Visit Ruth to read more celebrations.

4 comments:

LInda Baie said...

Glad for you that you had that moment, Julieann. It is needed once in a while! Have a lovely weekend!

Lori said...

Always good to get a real life reminder to confirm what we should be doing.
I look forward to hearing about other upcoming changes.

Michele Knott said...

It's the little moments that sometimes mean the most in our day.

Jess said...

I so relate to this. The kids are why the job is important. Thanks for the reminder :)