Saturday, March 14, 2015

celebrating a new normal

*This post is inspired by Karen

When I was younger, I loved change and pursing new goals.  I would move the furniture at least once a month using the excuse that it was easier to see how much I had cleaned if the furniture was moved around.  I changed purses often, tried new recipes, took classes, joined clubs and committees.

But lately, I have felt myself sinking into a new normal.  I like routine and knowing what is coming.  I love setting up a meal plan so I know what I need to do for dinner.  I like running the same route, listening to the same music.  This fall I minimized my wardrobe and I like wearing the same clothes, cutting out some of the choices.  I like settlng in on the couch each evening instead of going out.  I like getting up and going to bed at the same time.  I cringe when I look at the calendar and see that I will be out two or three evenings in one week.  I want to finish projects and get rid of clutter.  I want to surround myself with fewer things and people that I adore. 
I crossed another finish line this morning.  I was not as fast as last year but a bit faster than I predicted.  As I was running, I found myself so relaxed, really enjoying the run.

I think I can celebrate this new normal.  I wonder how long it will last?

Celebrating with Ruth and friends today

5 comments:

LInda Baie said...

It's nice to have some predictability perhaps, in our busy lives? Having fewer choices means less stress over "what might have been". I don't know the answer, still clinging to the same because I need to, but when I have more time, will I change? You always make me think, Julieann. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Terje said...

Simplifying life makes room for mindfulness. Our needs and priorities change as we change. How long the changes will last is a question that will be answered with time.

Lori said...

I like change, but I like routine too! Nice job on the run!

karen said...

we just might be twins. I love when i stay at home for more than one day! I think whatever makes us happy is what keeps us happy :)

Kaja said...

What a great, thought-provoking post. I realise that I too have reached a place where I prefer the rhythm of a simpler life, with the time and headspace to focus on what is really important.