Friday, January 23, 2015

celebrating soup

I love soup!  Usually, by this time in January, I have made at least six batches of soup.  But we are having a very mild start to 2015 and I just haven't thought too much about soup.

Today, I found myself craving soup.  Perhaps it was the wet day, or the full week, or the hard conference we had about a special student, or the worn look on the face of a teacher.  Soup is simple and warm.  It usually makes me slow down and eat slowly.  And I often think of childhood days, curled up on the couch, home from school, with soup and crackers and mom's special attention.

I had seen some new to me cookbooks on an Instagram feed so I stopped at the library, excited to find that they were available.

This lovely Green Lentil soup was very easy to make and made the perfect Friday night supper (and it is very pretty).  After dinner, I decided to see if the author of the cookbook had a blog - she does!  And this lovely recipe is available here.
I am off to look for a few more soup recipes and plan to spend part of my weekend cooking and celebrating soup.

Visit Ruth to see what others are celebrating.

10 comments:

MartiDIY said...

I love soup too, especially on cold evenings. Paired with homemade biscuits, it was one of my favorite meals.

Sarah Wilson said...

I celebrate soup too! I think that might be what is on my menu for tomorrow! Thanks!

Ruth Ayres said...

Yes, soup! I love the vegetables and the steam and the way it seems to soothe both my tummy and soul.

Amy Rudd said...

Soup warms the soul...thanks for sharing the recipe and a new blog to check out too!

Jennifer Laffin said...

Soup is one of the best things I love about winter! Last week at school, we had a soup cook off. Teachers brought in crock pots of soup and we voted on our favorite. The winner was awarded possession of the "Silver Spoon" for the year. It has become an annual tradition.

Jennifer

Andrea said...

Ooh! That soup is beautiful. I love soup also, especially during Winter months. Thank you for sharing the blog with us also.

Terje said...

Soup - thinking of the Tale of Despereaux. Soup - simple and warm, and oh, so needed in life.

LInda Baie said...

I posted about a vegetable soups last week, Juliann. This looks wonderful. One of the best things about winter is soup!

Rdgtchr said...

What a great celebration, Soup! The best! I love 101 cookbooks, both the blog and her two cookbooks. So many good salads too. And the broccoli dish with hard boiled eggs is a meal in itself. Also, she has an amazing chocolate chunk cookie recipe on the bog- made with whole wheat flour and turbinado sugar.

karen said...

my daughter and I are big soup fans and the guys are not so much. So when she is in town I make sure to have a soup dinner :) Yum!!!