Monday, December 1, 2014

Drinking green

I have been starting my day with a green drink for awhile.  It is a great way to get a few servings of fruits and veggies in before I leave the house.  I am always looking for new additions.  My most recent one is fennel.  This is a relatively new-to-me vegetable.  I first discovered it in an anti-inflammatory cooking class where it was added to a salad with quinoa and pears.  Then I tasted a fennel and pear kombucha drink and it gave me an idea.  What if I added fennel to my green drink? 
My current favorite combo:
1 cup of spinach or kale
1/2 an apple or pear, chopped
1/2 fennel bulb, chopped (you might use less if you have a large bulb or the taste is new to you)
juice from a small orange (or lime)
water and ice
I blend mine with a immersion blender so I get all the fiber.  I usually drink half of this with breakfast and the other half as an afternoon pick me up.  Let me know if you try this or if you have other good combinations.
This week we have been challenged to consume 9 fruits and veggies each day for the #holidaysweat challenge - no small task.  I loaded my basket with lots of veggies this weekend and I am planning some mega-veggie meals. 

1 comment:

Lori said...

Fennel has a very unique taste!