Friday, December 19, 2014

dear grief

Dear grief,
I didn't recognize you at first.  I figured I was just tired; long days and lots to do, the season and all.  When I woke this morning, I felt like I was just about to round the bend in the path.  I could count the hours until we say goodbye to the children.  Two weeks away from school.   That would be all I needed to begin to feel that Christmas was coming.  But now I see that you have had a grip on my heart and it has been tightening, slowly at first but with a growing persistence.  Each ornament, each nativity, each carol.  Until I found myself in tears this morning.  They came suddenly, relentlessly.  I don't yet know what to do with you but I promise, I won't ignore you. 

4 comments:

Lori said...

Hugs and prayers, dear friend.

audrey said...

Do you teach younger children then? I have a feeling my kids in middle school and high school are doing the happy dance at the chance of a holiday.:) You are a great teacher to care so much about your kids!!

Tara Ulrich said...

Wrapping you in hugs and prayers tonight.

kate said...

Thank you for giving us this glimpse with such honesty, and for linking up. Grace and strength to you!