Monday, December 8, 2014

Could you do this?

Last week Amanda issued a challenge - Eat the gold standard - 9 fruits and veggies every day!  I accepted the challenge and it was nearly as hard as I expected.
I started my day with green juice and sweet potato or spaghetti squash with my poached egg.  I had another juice drink (my discovery this week was a pink drink).  Lunch was veggie heavy - carrot or squash soup, spaghetti squash with tomatoes and roasted garbanzo beans, a Brussels spouts salad.  I picked up some hummus and had veggies for dipping as an afternoon snack.  At dinner I loaded up more veggies in the salad and lots of squash side dishes this week.   I finished off the week with a homemade pizza - spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, onions, and just a bit of goat cheese.  I didn't take out my veggie slicer this week but I am planning to stay on track with the 9-a-day so I think I will need to make some zucchini style noodles to add to the rotation.
So, what do you think?  Could you do this?  It would be easier for me if I had more fruits but I am also trying to watch my sugar intake so I aimed for 3 fruits and 6+veggies each day.  Check Amanda's post on how to get more veggies into your meals. 

4 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I think it sounds like a great idea! I agree with you about the fruit though I would have to limit it or it would send my sweet tooth off!

Lori said...

Nice job Juliann! I'm not sure I could be successful in the long run getting in that many fruit and veggies.

karen said...

I do like the idea of it but I'm not sure I could do it for more than a day or so. I know it's good for you and so maybe I could do it! Something to think about.

Jill said...

Oh how I wish I could do eat 9 veggies/fruits per day. It's a good day when I get 1 veggie and 1 fruit. I am going to check out the challenge to see how I can improve my veggie-fiber intake. Thanks for sharing.