Monday, December 29, 2014

binding and breakfast

 I guess I will begin with breakfast - always a good idea but also because I made a commitment to myself to write something about healthy choices every Monday during the #HolidaySweat challenge.  I have been doing a bit of reading on anti-inflammatory foods and my kitchen and pantry are ready to make some more changes starting January 4.  I have to eat breakfast.  I am so hungry when I wake up and I know if I don't eat a good breakfast, I will be making crummy choices all day.  I am learning to eat veggies at every meal.  This morning, I warmed up some leftover veggies from my veggie taco dinner last night and plopped a poached egg on top.  That is 2 servings of veggies before I even get dressed!  I will be eliminating eggs for a few weeks to see if they are part of my inflammation problem - I am hoping they are not.  For that time period my breakfasts of choice will be oats with nuts and fruits or a green drink.

Now for something fabric related.  I participated in Barb's 9 patch swap last summer.  I loved the method she shared for making 9 patch blocks and have had fun playing with the blocks I received.  I ended up pairing the 9 patch blocks with some simple cream fabric.  I got the top put together on Friday and machine stitched it on Saturday.  I am working my way around the binding (my hands are very sore these days so I have to go slowly - inflammation).  Yesterday I handed three quilts off to a woman at church.  She will give them to the city chaplain and he is going to take them to a car park where a number of women (and some men) are sleeping at night.  Some of these women have children so the quilts will be delivered along with a big bag of knitted caps our knitting group made.  I am now very driven to get this little quilt and another small quilt finished and delivered to the city chaplain for his stash of warmth to share. 

Now, on the topic of goals, I am so divided.  I want to jump in and make lists and set goals for the new year but I am also dragging my heels.  Are you making goals?   Joining any challenges that will help whittle down your stash or your waistline?  Please share!

3 comments:

karen said...

I think I'm with you about the setting goals and such. Dragging my feet. I want to maintain my walking and go back to eating healthier (without the calorie counting, that was tedious but made an impact on weightloss) Read more, reflect more, knit more, worry less......

audrey said...

Definitely dragging my heels, but thinking about it for sure!!

Lori said...

I'm sure the folks who receive your quilts will really love them, not only for the warmth they provide.

No "offical" challenges joined yet.