Wednesday, November 19, 2014

yarn and books and beads!

Off the needles today - a simple hat that I hope my mom will wear when we go out walking - it is getting cold in Seattle.
On the needles - my Candlelit shawl.  I decided to go with the pattern and try beading - thanks to a lovely tutorial on Helen's blog and the encouragement of my daughter.  I picked up a very tiny crochet hook and some beads last weekend and proceeded to misread the pattern (user error not pattern error) so I added more beads than needed.  I didn't really like the way it looked so I let it sit for a few days and then I realized my mistake.  I took out the knitting and started again.  I do love the look of the beads now that I have tamed it down a bit.  It really is so much easier than I had imagined.  Have you ever tried adding beads to your knitting?
I am not quite done with Being Mortal but I heard about this book on a podcast and was so curious.  I am a few chapters in and I like what she has to say.
I am looking forward to next week.  The teachers will be holding parent conferences so I have some time to play catch up and a flexible schedule.  I am looking forward to some serious meal planning and goal setting for the upcoming #HolidaySweat challenge.  And my friend Lori is home from her trip.  That means another installment of the mystery QAL and some time to hear about her travels.
Linking up with Ginny at Small Things today.

5 comments:

Lori said...

The book looks great. I think it will be much easier for me to write about my Guatemala experience than speak about it. I'm still very overwhelmed and tender hearted. (that means I cry easy this week!) lol

Pam said...

Cute hat! And thanks to you I found Helen and her knitting patterns. I didn't jump into the one with beads, but did start a really sweet cowl to gift to my Mom or sister, I think (always possible that I try it on and decide to make a different one for them!)

Martina said...

I've never tried adding beads to knitting before - it looks tricky but I love the result!

Lynn Koeppen said...

WOW! You are really being creative with your knitting! I am trying to finish up quilting projects for Christmas gifts.

CathieJ said...

That hat is great. I look forward to seeing the shawl when it is finished. The beads definitely add a little extra flair to the pattern.