Sunday, November 2, 2014

Slowing down and savor

Here we are, another Sunday, another opportunity to slow down and savor.
One of my slowing down practices happens in the kitchen.  I begin nearly every day by prepping and planning.  You need to know that I am an early riser - the person who climbs out of bed ready to take on the day.  While breakfast is cooking, I make my lunch and snacks and do whatever I can to make the dinner routine simple.  I often have two burners on the stove top going while the oven warms up or I blend up a green drink.  I don't want to have to worry about getting hungry in the afternoon and grabbing something I will later regret.  And by the time I get home, I just want to sit down and visit with my husband, maybe do a bit of knitting or reading, and relax.

Since I am not stitching anything new right now, I thought I would share a quilt that took me a few years to complete.  Over 20 years ago, I belonged to a Prodigy online quilt group.  One year we had secret pals.  We mailed cards and letters with clues and goodies every month and revealed our identity on Thanksgiving day.  My pal turned out to be Terri Willett.  Terri lived in Virginia and was an amazing quilter.  Her speciality was Jacobean applique.  I was just learning to applique but every other month, Terri sent me a pattern that she had designed.  I used freezer paper to make the pattern pieces and worked slowly, honing my hand applique skills.  When I finished the blocks, I used some of the flowers to make a vine for the boarder and quilted tiny beads in the center quilting to give it a bit of shimmer.  A few years later, I traveled to Virginia and met up with Terri and a few other quilters from that Prodigy group.  We drove to West Virginia to attend the NQA annual show, taking classes and deepening our friendship. Terri passed away in 2005.  I hang this quilt every November to remember her gift of friendship. 
I hope you have time to slow down and savor today.  Linking up with Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday.

9 comments:

Karen said...

The applique piece is beautiful!

darlynn said...

hmmm, thank you

Sarah said...

Lovely quilt and even nicer tribute to your friend!

Christine Feldstein said...

Pretty applique, happy stitching!

Lori said...

What a lovely quilt and remembrance of your friendship.

CathieJ said...

That quilt is beautiful. What a great way to remember a friend each year.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Beautiful applique quilt and an even better story! How wonderful that you have this quilt and hang it in her honor!

Quilter Kathy said...

WHat a beautiful quilt and a wonderful story!

Cathy said...

That sounds like a fun group. It's nice that it has left you with good memories and glorious applique pieces.