Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slow stitching Sunday and a bit about kindness

I had one of those Saturdays with nothing on the calendar - pretty rare!  Today I don't have anywhere to go after church although I will head to the trail for a run and perhaps to a yoga class this evening. 
What I have had time for is some slow stitching.  I am knitting a hat for mom.  It is getting cold and I like to take her out to walk when I visit but we can't seem to find her hat (ah, the mysteries of Alzheimer's).  I also had time to get the binding stitched down on my itty bitty.  I love that little peek of cheddar fabric - it makes the quilt sparkle.  This one is small - about 8 1/2" square and I am looking forward to having  it on my holiday table. As I stitched, I was thinking of my one little word for next year.  I am leaning toward kindness.  It seems to be popping up a lot lately.  So many who need a small kindness spoken into their day.  But also the kindness of others is amazing.  When I visit mom, there is always someone there, sharing their gifts and talents.  Last week is was a man who comes every week to play his ukulele and sing.  Other days there are people playing board games, doing puzzles, or paging through a book or magazine with one of the residents.  It can be difficult to engage a person with Alzheimer's.  I have learned so much these last few months about how to chat with mom so she doesn't get agitated about not remembering.  But is has been a lesson of love that she is giving to me without even know it.
An online friend (someone I have never met, just chatted through blog posts, email, and instagram) send me a large envelope of cheddar fabric after I asked her if she had any online sources.  Such kindness and generosity - another lesson of love. 
Hope you have a lovely Sunday and that moments of kindness will speak into your day.
Be sure to visit Kathy to see how others are slow stitching today.

7 comments:

antique quilter said...

Kindness perfect word..... If each and everyone of us show a bit even once a week what a better world this would be. Nice post

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Enjoy your slow stitching and your exercise! The kindness you are receiving is also because you put kindness out there in the world too...

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I think kindness is a perfect word! There is a lot of kindness around and we can always use more. Happy Stitching!

Deb A said...

Love the word kindness. I agree, the world would be a better place with more kindness and every little bit - even a smile does make a difference. Enjoy your day.

karen said...

how sweet that friendships online are as dear as ones in real life. I love that you are knitting your mom a hat, I hope this one doesn't get lost.

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful word to think about every day.
Love your miniature quilt!

CathieJ said...

Kindness is one of the best words. My godmother suffers from dementia and kindly is the best way to deal with her. I agree that the cheddar fabric sparkles, How nice to have a friend to send it to you.