Wednesday, November 12, 2014

knitting and reading

I am still reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  I had to put it aside for a few days to get some work done but I am really enjoying this read.  I know there are many of us walking this season of aging with our parents and it is a tough walk.  I cherish the opportunity to get some perspective, to see what it looks like for others.  Gawande is a brilliant writer and storyteller.  I highly recommend this and his other books.
Yesterday I cast on a new shawl - another from the wonderful designer, Helen Stewart.  If you are interested in knitting a shawl you should check her patterns.  I love the way she writes the pattern in a row by row format so you can see how you are coming along.  I cast on and knit to the 5% mark in a very short time.  This one is from her 2014 Knitvent collection - Candlelit.
This evening I am going to hear Anne Lamott speak.  She has a newly released book.  But for now, I must bundle up as we have entered some very wintery weather in the Pacific Northwest.  Be sure to see what everyone is reading and knitting over at Ginny's place.

6 comments:

Donna said...

She really does have some pretty designs. I'm looking to cast on something new after the holidays and check her out before choosing something.

Quilter Kathy said...

You lucky duck! I love Anne Lamott!

Jayne Marti said...

I love the soft grey yarn. I will have to check out Knitvent - I have seen it on a few blogs now. What a great idea!

Jayne Marti said...

I love the soft grey yarn. I will have to check out Knitvent - I have seen it on a few blogs now. What a great idea!

Cathy said...

Wow! Anne Lamott! Enjoy.....love her books but haven't read her latest. I pulled out a shawl I made a few years ago and I realized how much I miss knitting.....I'm so rusty at this point!

karen said...

I would love to hear lamott!!! you are so very lucky :) :) now I'm off to see what you are knitting :)