Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Choose your words

 Quite a number of years ago, a quilter made an off hand comment about my fabric choices.  I was young and she was an accomplished, published, quilter who makes amazing one-of-a-kind quilts and wins awards.  So her words stung.  

When I look at my design wall, I realize that her words were true - I do use a pretty specific range of fabrics in my quilts.  Of course I branch out and use modern, bright fabrics now and then, but what you see here is my preference.  And best of all, looking at this picture makes me want to sew!  I am not sure what I will do with those lovely flowers but aren't they fun?  And I have my first installment of Lori's mystery QAL all stitched up. 

Then there is this itty bitty.  It is 9 1/2" square.  The center has been hanging next to my design wall for a few years - part of some fabric play that I did a few winters ago.  I went to a quilt show on Sunday and many of the quilts had a little folded bit of fabric between the borders.  I wanted to try that and this was the perfect little piece. 

It's funny that the memory of those harsh words came back to me.  They don't sting anymore.  I think I needed to be reminded of how much I love what I do.  It does make me a bit sad for the woman.  I don't believe she thought for one moment of how her words would make me feel.  I saw a sign recently that said, "Some will love you and some will hate you and none of it will have anything to do with you."  

10 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I am always careful when I am at a quilt show about what I say. Just because it is not my taste does not mean you should say something bad. You never know who is listening. Thanks for the reminder. Your quilts make you happy and that is all that matters!

audrey said...

So very true. If what your'e making and/or looking at on your design wall makes you happy and makes you want to sew then that's all that matters. I often work in the same color range over and over until I want to move on. Is that repetitive and boring? Not to me.:)

julieQ said...

Oh how wise your words are! I was a scribe once at a quilt show, and followed the quilt judges around writing down everything they said. When one judge came to my quilt, she said,"Look at this! Just covered with cat hair!! Definitely not worth looking at!"" I don't own a cat....but that really hurt and I still have no clue what she was talking about!

Lori said...

Love that saying! The flowers on your design wall are awesome too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the saying on that sign.... so true!

Cathy said...

I don't have a design wall but the colors look like mine! I love the flower block...is that pattern part of a series?

Lynn Koeppen said...

Amazing how that memory of an unpleasant experience is so fresh in your memory! You are so right, choose your words carefully! They will last a long time!
I do love your color choices. I just heard a piece on NPR last night about the science of color. The scientist said that the way we all see color is different. I can agree with him when I look at quilts as we are artists that play with color in many varied and unique ways!

Gayle said...

I wish your projects were on MY design wall - love them all. I usually work in my comfort zone too, except when a daughter requests a quilt in the more modern vein for a new baby - and that can be fun for a minute.

Linda O said...

That saying is so true. I love what's on your design wall! The flower block is beautiful! Is it from a pattern? Your itty bitty quilt looks great with the borders.

Heartsdesire said...

As quilters, I think our creative spark comes from the fabrics that we choose. While some might not agree with those choices, it's what we love that counts. Your little quilt is lovely, and the inside borders are perfect.