Saturday, November 1, 2014

Celebrating One Little Word

I have had a hard time with my one little word for 2014.  When it came to me, it felt so right.  TEND - take care of things.  I imagined a year that would focus on my health, body and spirit.  I would read and exercise and eat well.  My health is good.  I have been eating well (most of the time) and spending lots of time running and practicing yoga.

But I wasn't really connecting with my word.  I thought often of changing word but I didn't really have a new word.  So I set my word aside.

What I didn't realize when this lovely little word started showing up last November was that the tending that would need to be done would be focused outwardly.  My parents, my staff, friends at church, a few family members - each needing something from me.  Kind words, a meal, home made soup, a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on.  This morning I prepared to make another batch of carrot-ginger soup and I realized that the washing, cutting, and cooking has become a time of prayer this year.  A time of prayer and tending.


Celebrating with others at Ruth's place today.

7 comments:

Julieanne said...

So interesting what we think will be and what actually comes to be. The fact that you had to look closely as to how your OLW was coming out in your life is interesting. Also it makes me wonder about tending. Is it possible to tend to oneself while tending to others...Hmm. Lovely OLW. Perfect regardless of your perspective.

Cathy said...

Enjoyed your post today. I like the idea of the one word and got me thinking what mine would be. I've been making squash/apple soup. Will you share your carrot soup recipe?

LInda Baie said...

The word, amazingly to me, does morph into something not always imagined. Some years I think not much happens, & in others, it becomes important. I enjoyed hearing about your realization, Juliann.

Carrie Gelson said...

A lovely word - perfect for the fall and important in all of our lives. My husband made gingery carrot soup this week and it was such a treat. Comfort and care in there with all of the carrots.

audrey said...

I really appreciate your thoughtful posts. Tend is such a good word--however it comes to be.:)

Lori said...

Very nice, I like that a lot.

Crystal Brunelle said...

So great that your word has become more meaningful for you over time. :)