Saturday, November 22, 2014

celebrating and cleaning

Do those two words go together?
This weekend they are perfect companions.  We are heading into Thanksgiving week.  That means my work schedule is a bit more flexible since teachers are giving conferences and students are not on campus.  It also means we need space in the fridge for a turkey and space on the counter for all the goodies that our guests will bring. 
I love the way we do our Thanksgiving meal.  My husband cooks the turkey (for 36 years) and I set the table.  Our family guests each bring one or two dishes to share and there is always more than enough to eat.  I have started making a stuffing dish to accommodate some special dietary needs but it is fun to hunt down the ingredients.  And when everyone shares in the meal preparation, there is such a sense of community to accompany our meal. 
So today I am cleaning the kitchen, making a grocery list, and tackling some of those tasks that don't get done often enough (cobweb control for instance).  I will sit with the memories that are bound to come up when I pull out our special dishes and napkins.  I am sure I will be wishing for years past, before Alzheimer's and aging became constant companions for mom and dad.  There will be sadness mixed with gratitude.  But isn't that life? 
Today I am thankful that I have this cleaning to do and I am celebrating with others over at Ruth's place.

6 comments:

Terje said...

The cleaning becomes a celebration when it means anticipation and memories of a special holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!

Holly Mueller said...

This part of your post is so profound: "I will sit with the memories that are bound to come up when I pull out our special dishes and napkins. I am sure I will be wishing for years past, before Alzheimer's and aging became constant companions for mom and dad. There will be sadness mixed with gratitude. But isn't that life?" Thank you for your thoughts today. It reminds all of us to celebrate each precious moment.

LInda Baie said...

It's so special to clean when you're getting ready for good times, Julieann, & holding good memories as well. Happy Thanksgiving to you & all your guests.

Amanda Villagómez said...

It always feels so good to get some good cleaning and organizing in! I just moved recently, so getting things settled and cleaned has been at the forefront of my mind! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

karen said...

I've been cleaning as well. We have dietary challenges and our family finds it fun. Crazy I know! Your parents love the help you give them. Hope you have a good celebration!

Carol Varsalona said...

Juliann, I believe this is the first time I have come to your blog and I was struck by the line, "There will be sadness mixed with gratitude. But isn't that life?" Thank you for sharing that since I sometimes forget that struggles are a normal part of life when I am in the midst of them. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope we can connect more.