Wednesday, November 5, 2014

books and yarn and November weather.

Why do all the books you have on hold arrive at the library at the same time?  I have been on the list for months for Lila and this book, Being Mortal.  I had both over the weekend and decided that Being Mortal needed to be my read this month.  Atul Gawande has written a number of books about the world of medicine.  This one focuses on the topic of medicine, aging, and end of life.  Just a few pages in and I was hooked.  The words and stories are cutting right to the heart of the journey I am walking with my aging parents and I was 100 pages in before the weekend was over.
It has been wet and dark in the Pacific Northwest.  The time change means it is dark when I am driving home (translated - tough to figure out when to go for a run). 
But this weather is perfect for reading and knitting.  I am working on another chevron blanket using a pattern from PurlBee.  It is designed as a baby blanket but I increased a bit to make it a lap blanket.  I have had the variegated yarn for a long time.  It was actually a shawl at one point before I pulled it out and set it aside.  I picked up the blue last week to give a bit of contrast.  This is a very simple pattern - a two row repeat that is easy to memorize.  I did add stitch markers along the way to get started and they do help me stay on track.  I have not needed to knit back at all.  I started this same pattern with different yarn in January and it was a disaster so I am please with the progress here.
Books and yarn and wet, dark fall days,  perfect for a yarn along!

8 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like November is starting out in a wonderful way.

Reinventing Mother said...

I e walked the ging print journey. Hardest time of my life. Prayers going up for you!

Reinventing Mother said...

Well that was a crazy auto correct! Let me try again....
I have walked the aging parent journey. Prayers!!

Jessica Snell said...

I like the chevron-patterned blanket - it looks very cozy!

Jayne Marti said...

I do love chevron blankets, and those colours are lovely. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Project Tara said...

Coming over through Yarn Along. Lovely blanket -- looks like it will be perfect for cozying up to watch a movie or read a book. Speaking of... I will have to check out your read as I, too, am walking that journey with my mother.

Susanne Cottrell said...

Stopping by from the Yarn along. I love the blue paired with the variegated yarn, so lovely knit up in that chevron pattern!

CathieJ said...

I too am walking the aging parent journey. It is not easy. I am not sure I want to read a book about it though. I love the yarn you are using for your blanket. Beautiful.