Saturday, October 25, 2014

Celebrating - the clothes line



This summer we got a clothes line.  I don't remember my mom having one but I am sure she did.  And I am not sure when I started thinking about it but I found myself searching for clothes line ideas on Pinterest - thinking for a brief moment that we would construct our own.  We found one online that seemed to match my needs.  We had to dig a deep hole (not easy since we live on very rocky, clay soil) and add cement to hold the base.  Once that was set, we dropped the main pole into the base and viola!  All I needed were clothes pins which I picked up at the dollar store.  
I began to look forward to laundry days.  I would put a load in the machine and putter about in the kitchen or sewing room.  When the first load was done, I would put in the second and take my basket out to the line.  At first, I pinned the clothes up randomly.  But then I learned to hang the heavier items toward the front with the lighter items toward the center.  That way things dried at pretty much the same rate.  While my clothes dried I could go for a run or do the grocery shopping.  No  need to worry about a dryer running while I was away from home.  The final step would be a short tumble in the dryer to fluff out the wrinkles. 
Now the rainy season has begun.  I brought my clothes pins inside this week so they would not get water logged.  And today we will take the main pole out of the base and store it for the winter.  But I am contemplating looking for an indoor line that I can install in the extra bathroom.  It will take a bit longer for the clothes to dry but I have found something so calming about hanging my clothes and giving them just a short tumble in the dryer.  And I am not ready to give that up.


11 comments:

Holly Mueller said...

I love this! It brought back memories of my mom hanging clothes on the clothesline when I was young - we had a big, country backyard, and the sight of clothes hanging on the line was comforting. Great photo!

Carrie Gelson said...

I LOVE my clothes line. Now that it is rainy, rainy season I wake up with a sad nostalgic yearning for summer days full of laundry on the line. I often have clothes out at the first warm sunny day in April! Love this celebration - the clothes line is a treasure.

lynda said...

I use a folding wooden drying rack for indoors, although you can get the ones that hang from the ceiling, but we can hang out into late fall and early winter....

darlynn said...

i've always had a clothes line. i so agree, there is something calming about pegging clothes, bringing them in, and putting them away. ah, the freshness and clean smell. oh, crawling in a bed with linens that have dried on the line. similar to other comments, i have 3 wooden driers that i use when it rains or during the winter. nothing better!

LInda Baie said...

And the clothes smell so very, very good! Glad you got it all worked out. I don't have a line, but do hang some in my laundry room. Can't do the sheets, though, no room.

Julieanne said...

The clothes pins look like butterflies hovering. I feel like I can feel the wind blowing through your back yard. Seems kind of magical!

Ruth Ayres said...

A beautiful tiny celebration that somehow feels big in the scheme of life. I think it is because, at the heart, this is about slowing down the pace of life. I'm glad you celebrated today.
Ruth

Janet said...

There's nothing like the smell of clothes dried in the sun. I'm realising how the washing line has been such a part of our everyday lives that we take it for granted. The dryer is only used sparingly.

Cathy said...

I love my clothesline ....and the smell of sun dried sheets, towels and quilts linger for a long time!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

There is something so simple and and enjoyable about a clothesline!

karen said...

there is something ritualistic about clotheslines and the act of hanging the wash. I love the smell of fresh sheets from the outside!