Monday, October 13, 2014

Blog Hopping

Lori asked me to join in on the Around the World Blog Hop.  I was hesitant but then decided to just jump in.  I have been able to meet up with Lori a few times in the last few years.  We are even planning to run a half marathon together in 2015.  Thanks Lori.

So, what am I working on?
On an impulse, I joined a 9-patch swap this summer.  I have not done much swapping lately.  Way back in the days of dial-up internet and Prodigy, I did a lot of swapping and made some very good friends.  But this one pulled me in.  The hostess was Barb Vedder and we each made 100, 3" blocks and sent them to here.  In return, I received a squishy envelope filled with blocks.  I think I am going to use the setting above to make my quilt - stay tuned.
I have many other projects going including a Sue Spargo wool applique.  I don't work fast, do lots of hand work, and make every effort to really enjoy every stitch I take.

When I am not quilting I am . . .
knitting
running
practicing drums 
reading
cooking
reading about cooking!
I work full time as a preschool director and I am also helping my dad care for my mom who has Alzheimer's.  I am learning so much about how to love unconditionally.

How does my work differ from others?
I am widely influenced so you can probably see the work of others in my quilts.  Like I said above, I do a lot of hand applique and hand quilting and I love embroidery.

 How does my writing/creating process work?
I blog because I like to write.  More of my writing is done on another blog but I am working to simplify life so I may merge the two spaces one day.  I love to read about the creative process and how others make space for writing and creating.  I struggle with time just like everyone and have periods where I am getting a lot done followed by slower times.  I try to find joy in each season.  But most of all, blog-keeping has brought me some wonderful friendships.

Please visit two of the bloggers that I follow -
I met Lynn a few years ago when she asked me to help her get a photo header on her blog.  I love to read about her travels, especially the amazing hikes she takes with her husband and dog.  I do believe we are going to figure out a way to meet one of these days.
I found Paula some time ago and have her blog bookmarked under Quilters Who Knit.  I have had fun following both her knitting and quilting adventures.

Thanks for visiting.  I hope you will leave a comment.  I would love to chat.


8 comments:

Ruth said...

I just participated in the 9-patch block swap too and love what I received. Saturday I met Lori at Aurora, OR. She is definitely a kindred spirit when it comes to quilting. You are definitely a busy lady! I enjoyed reading about your life!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I think I see one of my blocks in your picture! I like the setting you are thinking of, I am still not sure what I will do...

Lori said...

Thanks for participating! I didn't know you had another blog!

audrey said...

This blog hop has been so interesting, getting to know a bit more about the quilters behind the blog! You are always so busy. Love how thoughtful you are about your stitching.:)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Lovely post...and so nice to learn a bit more about you! :o) Have a great day!

Liz D said...

Hi Juliann. It s fun to meet you thru the blog hop! Your 9-patch swap blocks are great, and perfect setting to show them off.

lizzy at gone to the beach

Linda O said...

Love the 9 patches! Now I wish I would have done the modern ones too! Thanks for the reminder to slow down and really enjoy each and every stitch...that so often gets lost!

Lynn Koeppen said...

These nine patch blocks are lovely! Good for you for jumping in! We need to challenge ourselves once in a while by doing that! I love your blog and appreciate your friendship and inspiration. I hope we an meet up in the near future!