Wednesday, October 15, 2014

a new stitch

Sashiko supplies and mom's old sewing box
Last weekend I went to a cooking class.  The topic - pressure cookers.  At some point I has this idea that perhaps I would like to learn how to use a pressure cooker.  I don't own one.  I have a terror filled memory of my mom cooking with a pressure cooker that might explode - might be a false memory. But I heard that a pressure cooker would make meal prep easier.
So I went to the class thinking I would be putting a pressure cooker on my Christmas wish list.  But within 10 minutes I realized that this would not happen.  Pressure cooking is all about fast.  I am on a journey to slow down.  To pause and savor.  I love my crock pot that takes all day to cook dinner.
There is enough pressure in my day to day living.  No need to add pressure to my cooking.

Just two days after the class, I dropped my phone in the loo.  Yup - too much rushing about and not paying attention.  After a few hours of panic (how can I live without my phone?) I realized that this was just one more sign to slow down the pace.
I love the idea of slowing down.  I have only just grazed the surface but there are some good resources online.  For me it has meant weeding out the clothes that I don't wear, trimming down my choices, and creating a simpler wardrobe.  I don't want to be standing in front of a full closet while thinking I have nothing to wear.  I want my laundry routine to be simpler.  I want to be more intentional and more grateful. 

This week I have been reading and thinking about mending.  I am looking forward to adding some lovely pockets and hand stitches to a skirt that was in my giveaway box because of a few tears and worn spots.  Those pockets will cover the worn spots perfectly (and who doesn't love pockets!)
I have seen Sashiko here and there in the quilt world.  I love the simple decorative stitching.  I think of it every time I use pearl cotton to quilt (my stitches are going to be visible so why not plump them up with a heavier thread).  I found a good Sashiko tutorial and plan to do a decorative stitch like this on the pockets for my skirt.
How have you simplified?  Any tips?  Want to share this journey?

5 comments:

Lori said...

It sounds like you are on the right path. This "simplifying" seems to be a trend, especially with the younger crowd. I grew up simplifying because we were poor.
Funny about the pressure cooker class. Nice to get that out of your system. :)

audrey said...

My mom was always worried about her pressure cooker because her own mom was terrified of them. You have definitely been making me think about the wardrobe thing especially. I am tired of having so many things hanging in the closet and not having anything to wear.

Karen said...

I used to have a pressure cooker and wish I still did. I liked cooking green beans in it and also swiss steak.

Pam said...

Your thoughts on slowing down have really spoken to me over the last few days. It made me realize how much I love a slow, simple pace and how far my life has strayed from this. Thanks for giving me something to ponder. Hopefully I can get back on a more peaceful path soon.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Last night, I had the pleasure of spending the evening with a lady who just recently moved from the USA to the UK and she noted that the Brits take life at a much slower pace..being from Canada I total got what she was saying :o) The one thing she noticed was that before any major task the Brits make a cup of tea and further discussion with those in the group agreed that making tea made one slow down. So there you have it...Slow it down...make a cup of tea, sit and savour it and then move on to the next task :o)