Friday, July 25, 2014

little birds and folk art eagles

I started playing with a final border for my retreat quilt and started to think I would need to purchase more fabric.  I had a one yard cut of  this lovely fabric.  I loved the dots for the quilt border but there wasn't enough because there is a 9" border section that has birds on it.  I didn't really want to buy more fabric so I did a bit of math and found that I could do a pieced border and use corner squares of the birds.  That left me with a piece of the bird border so I cut around as many birds as I could and I will applique them across the lower border. 

This morning, I ordered the pattern for this quilt from Lori Smith.  This will be my eagle project for Angie and Audrey's Quilt Like an Eagle Challenge.  I need to dig around and see if I have enough black for the background (I think I do) and then start pulling my wools for the applique.  I hope to use some of the new stitches I am learning from Sue Spargo's book.

The sun is returning after a few grey, rainy days (much needed to help conquer the fires in Washington) so I will head to the trail for a longer run today.

Happy Friday!


4 comments:

Janet said...

I love that bird print, I just bought it last week. It looks great on your border. Have fun with the eagle quilt, it's a lovely pattern.

Lynn Koeppen said...

I love your eagle quilt choice! I'm tempted to try one as well but then again, I have so many projects waiting to be finished. I'm going to hold back and keep working to finish the things I already have going!

Lori said...

Love your border idea.
I made the eagle block on the lori smith pattern a but made no more blocks. Not sure why...

Jess said...

I love the bird border! So whimsical :)