Friday, July 15, 2011

bow ties begun

Isn't it fun that that little bow tie quilt captured the interest of so many who visited the Sisters quilt show?  I wonder if anyone bought the quilt?
I thought and thought about how to make my bow tie blocks.  I tried machine piecing them with triangles and hand piecing with traced shapes.  Then I wondered what would happen if I made a four patch and appliqued the center square.  This would be the best of both worlds because I like to machine piece simple shapes (like squares) and I love to applique.  So this is the method I have landed on.  It gives me a bit of a raised effect for that center square which really reminds me of the bow ties my dad used to wear.
I have four done ( while listening to an audio book this morning) and 12 more ready to applique.  My blocks are finished 3" and I am making just a small quilt for the wall.

Bonnie, Lori, and Randy are also making these blocks.  Check Bonnie's post for a different technique.

10 comments:

Monique said...

Add me to the list of those making this quilt! My blocks are 6", entirely pieced, and use orange (!) You can read more here: http://beyondlibraryschool.blogspot.com/

I've finished 7 blocks and have another 10 cut out. I'm planning on setting them 6x8 for a wall-sized quilt.

Julie said...

I really like the raised center knot of your bowtie. What a great variation!

Jan said...

Wow, that is pretty smart, and no more work than the other method. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I think I like your way better. That will give me a hand-work project to take along when I know that I'll be waiting for something/someone. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

Barbara J said...

I like the twist with the applique. Yes, the raised effect does look great. Especially for a doll quilt.

May I know the size of the finished applique square? TIA.

Janet said...

It's a gorgeous quilt, no wonder it's captured so many fans. I love your grey squares quilt on your last post too, it's superb.

Crispy said...

I never would have thought to applique the center on. I really love the effect :0)

Crispy

Lori said...

What an adorable block!! I like the appliqued square.

Quilting in the Pines said...

I love how this is starting out! I checked out the directions on Bonnie's post. I am tempted, but no cheddar...yet!

Rose Marie said...

So clever .... thanks for sharing!