Wednesday, July 22, 2009

blossoms and berries

It has been at least 3 years since I first saw this quilt. I was trying to get my quilting energy back after a serious dry period and I checked a bunch of quilting books out of the library. I saw this one in Treasury of American Quilts by Cyril Nelson and Carter Houck. I remember liking the simplicity and that interesting green color. Over the next year or so, I checked this book out a few more times and finally made a copy of the pattern page and the photo. But I think it was the use of solids that kept me from starting this quilt - I just haven't worked with solids since I left my Amish quilt stage.
Yesterday, I was trying to clean up my sewing room and I came across the pattern. I had just folded up this rather large piece of green and it is so similar to the green in the picture. Maybe, I thought. But then what about those solids? As it happened, I needed to run some errands that would take me within blocks of the quilt shop so I figured, let's just take a look and see. I found the red right away -a Moda Bella (thanks Kathi and Janet for mentioning this fabric). The gold was harder but I found one bolt of an Amy Butler fabric that would "do". As I walked to the cutting table I saw a bolt of gold peeking out from behind some brown fabrics left in the aisle and guess what? It was perfect! (and about half the price of the Amy Butler). So this morning I got two blocks prepped and I am thinking this might just be a four block quilt (I have been rereading Gwen Marston's book this week) but we will see. I have enough red and gold and green to make a larger piece if I get really motivated.
This quilt is called Blossoms and Berries, quilt maker unknown, 1880-1890, Pennsylvania and can be found on page 49 of Treasury of American Quilts.

11 comments:

Gwendie said...

I've been checking that same book out of the library. I may just have to find a copy to buy! And I have the Gwen Marston book - we seem to have similar taste in books. I absolutely LOVE Gwen's book. I can't wait to see your blocks finished.

Judy said...

I had to go get my copy and see that quilt...yum! Wonderful!

Now I have a question...you laid down the leaves against the flowers with the point against the flower instead of it being away from the flowers like in the quilt picture. Did you decide to change it, or is that a goof? I'd hate for you to sew all that and then realize you switched them without meaning to do it!

Carrie P. said...

Neat block. I haven't ever seen it before.

Cardygirl said...

Looks good...looking forward to seeing it grow

Janet said...

I love it! Love the gold with the red and I think the solids are great. The golds are hard to find. I'm very fond of large blocks too.

Kathie said...

looking wonderful
had to get the book out and look at the picture of the quilt
ahhhh and the solids just make this quilt
have fun!
Kathie

Sue said...

That really is a nice block! Carrie invited us over to check out your blog. Glad she did!

Jan said...

This is a favorite of mine, too. Will enjoy following your progress!

Loris said...

I'm enjoying the pictures of your WIP's. Lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Quilt Hollow said...

Can't say I've seen the book. Will look forward to seeing your progress!

sewkalico said...

This is a lovely block. It vaguely reminds me of Carolina Lily (only vaguely), and I just love the style of both blocks.